Saturday, August 13, 2011

Sweet Potato Smoothie

I wasn't lying when I said that sweet potatoes and spinach have been a huge part of my diet as of late. I think there's still a sweet potato sitting in there waiting for me to use it. I know for sure that there's a bag of spinach in there too. I could probably do a week of sweet potato/spinach recipes and not get sick of it.

I said recently that I used to make smoothies for breakfast almost everyday. I need to get back into that again, especially since school starts for me on Monday. It's an easy breakfast that sustains me until lunchtime.

This absolutely was not a normal smoothie for me. Despite my current love of sweet potatoes, I have never used a sweet potato in a smoothie. And I have used spinach in my smoothies before, but in the past I was also using strawberries or something equally colorful, so my smoothies have never come out this interesting color of green that the sweet potato/spinach smoothie created.

Despite the bizarre pigment, it was absolutely delicious and I ended up making it two days in a row.

You can thank my MFP friends for this recipe being here. I was asked to make a smoothie, and a smoothie I did make!

Sweet Potato Smoothie

Ingredients
1 cup almond milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tbsp honey
1/2 cup peeled, cubed, and boiled (until soft) sweet potato
1/2 banana
handful spinach
ice cubes

Directions
1. Place all ingredients in the blender. BLEND!

* serves about 1 and a half

CALORIES: 150 calories
CHOLESTEROL: 0 milligrams
FAT: 3 grams
SODIUM: 153 milligrams

1 comment:

  1. Cinnamon has a lot of great health benefits too. (I also add ground cloves) its like drinking pumpkin pie!

    ReplyDelete