Sunday, August 21, 2011

Spinach, Mushroom, and Goetta Scramble

I've been so busy lately with school starting again, continuing working at my internship, and trying to maintain a social life in the midst of all of that. This of course has greatly limited by free time that I'm on the computer, so I'm kind of behind on my meals. I have a queue going on now. Who knows if I'll ever get caught up.

This dish was at the request of another of my MFP friends, who requested I make a dinner omelet. Unfortunately for me, my cholesterol is high. And unfortunately for me, eggs are jam packed with cholesterol. I opted for this dish to use an egg substitute, as to not have a cholesterol overdose only a week before I'm supposed to go in and get my blood checked again for both my cholesterol and vitamin D levels.

Oh, and then I failed when making the omelet and it became a scramble instead.

Now, for people who aren't from the Cincinnati, Ohio area - I'm not either. But that wasn't my point. My point is, if you aren't from Cincinnati, you probably don't know what goetta is. There's only two things I can say about this:
1. You are utterly deprived and when I go to Ohio in October for a wedding I need to make sure to bring enough home for myself to keep in my freezer for a nice day, and
2. For the sake of this recipe you can replace the goetta with breakfast sausage, bacon, ground beef, or really any protein choice of your desire.

Spinach, Mushroom, and Goetta Scramble

Ingredients
1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1 pinch black pepper
1 pinch dried thyme
1/2 cup fresh spinach, chopped
4 oz goetta
1/2 cup egg substitute
3 tbsp Mozzarella cheese
ground paprika

Directions
1. In a skillet over medium heat, add cooking spray. Season the mushrooms and goetta with pepper and thyme, and then cook until the goetta is cooked all the way through and crispy on the outsides and the mushrooms are tender.

2. Add spinach and cook for 30 seconds. Remove the mixture to a small dish and set aside.

3. Respray the skillet with cooking spray. Add the egg substitute and allow to get firm. Scramble the eggs and mix in the spinach mixture.

4. Sprinkle with paprika.

* serves 1

CALORIES: 536 calories
CHOLESTEROL: 69 milligrams
FAT: 29 grams

No comments:

Post a Comment