Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Chocolate Chip Pancakes

I've said in here before, breakfast really isn't typically my thing. But I sometimes I feel like I maybe cereal isn't going to cut it everyday of the week. Really I need to get back into my smoothie-making-frenzy that I participated in last year, where almost every morning I made a smoothie of sorts. I definitely have the time for that now that I don't have to be in the office at 8:30 every morning. Instead I have to be in class, but I have a lot longer in the mornings now to make things for myself, like smoothies. There's been a lot of Kix lately though. Oh well.

Anyway, over the weekend I decided it was necessary for both my boyfriend and myself to enjoy something other than processed grains in milk.

Chocolate chip pancakes remind me of being a little girl. I've never been big on breakfasts. But my mom used to make me chocolate chip pancakes and I could eat them for days. When we didn't have chocolate chips in the house sometimes I'd get M&Ms in them. I am such a chocoholic that it's no surprise that I loved them.

In my adult life my control for eating chocolate has increased greatly. I don't get the cravings for it that I used to. But I could never turn down the pancakes.

Chocolate Chip Pancakes

Ingredients
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
2 tbsp butter, melted and cooled
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp kosher salt
6 tbsp chocolate chips

Directions
1. Whisk together the egg, buttermilk, butter, and vanilla until combined. Add in the dry ingredients except for the chocolate chips and mix together until well combined and no dry spots remain. Mix in the chocolate chips.

2. Melt a small amount of butter in a skillet over medium heat. Drop 1/4 cup batter into a pan and cook until until golden brown on one side, or until the side facing up begins to bubble. Flip the pancake and cook until golden on the other side.

3. Repeat step 2 until all the batter is cooked.

* serves 3, 2 pancakes per serving

CALORIES: 309 calories
CHOLESTEROL: 56 milligrams
FAT: 12 grams
SODIUM: 555 milligrams

No comments:

Post a Comment