Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Citrus Shrimp with Vegetable Slaw

One of my MFP friends asked me to make a dish that included both grilled protein and vegetables. Upon some recipe explorations I found this recipe, a shrimp dish that included a cold vegetable slaw.

Here's the thing. I really really am not fond of raw vegetables. I hate the crunch so much. I initially was going to just eat the slaw cold and try to change my taste buds into loving the raw veggies, but when I was standing there cutting up the onion and the squash I couldn't bear to think that my teeth were going to be tearing into the hard flesh of the raw vegetables. So I changed it up a little and put the vegetables over heat long enough to soften a bit.

And then it didn't gross me out anymore.

Citrus Shrimp with Vegetable Slaw

Ingredients
1/4 cup lemon juice + 1/2 tbsp
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup orange juice
1 tbsp sugar
1 sprig of rosemary
a pinch of cinnamon
1/2 lb peeled and deveined shrimp
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
1/2 carrot, cut into circles
1/2 yellow squash, thinly sliced
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 tsp ground black pepper flakes
salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup uncooked rice

Directions
1. In a rice cooker combine the rice and 2 cups of water. Cook.

2. In a small bowl combine 1/4 cup of lime juice, the orange juice, pineapple juice, sugar, rosemary, cinnamon, and sugar. Stir to combine and then toss the shrimp in the liquid. Set in the refrigerator.

3. In another small bowl combine the olive oil and cilantro. Mix with the vegetables.

4. In a small skillet cook the vegetables until they begin to soften. Place in a bowl and set aside.

5. Remove the shrimp from the marinade. Pour the marinade in the skillet and cook until it is reduced to about 1/3 cup, about 8 minutes. Let boil briefly. Pour into a clean bowl.

6. In the same skillet cook the shrimp 3 minutes on each side. Put the shrimp into the cooked marinade and toss well.

7. Fill the bottom of a bowl with rice. Top with shrimp and then with the veggies.

CALORIES: 355 calories
CHOLESTEROL: 204 milligrams
FAT: 6 grams
SODIUM: 275 milligrams

No comments:

Post a Comment