Sunday, September 25, 2011

Curried Swai and Curried Mashed Sweet Potatoes

In regards to my last post, I feel like there might be something I need to clear up about the foods I post in this blog. Or maybe it isn't, but I'm going to anyway.

The food I make in this journal is Americanized. Each and every thing I serve is in no way authentic of anything, other than this food is authentic Americanized food. Everything is cooked in California. Nothing is intended to be authentic ethnic food. Everything is just the food I eat.

With that being said, I made curried swai and sweet potatoes. The curry with the sweet potatoes was amazing! It always surprises me when I combine sweet potatoes with a flavor I wouldn't think sounds like it would mesh at all... And it just does. Like my sweet potato tacos, for instance.

Curried Swai

Ingredients
2 swai fillets
1 green onion, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
pinch of curry powder
pinch of red pepper
1/2 tbsp flour
1/4 tbsp Brummel&Brown yogurt spread

Directions
1. Rinse the fillets in cold water. Pat dry and place in a shallow baking dish.

2. Combine the green onions, garlic, curry powder, and red pepper. Rub over the surface of the fish. Cover and refrigerator for an hour.

3. Remove the fish after an hour and coat with flour.

4. Melt the yogurt spread or other margarine or butter in a baking dish in a 350 oven. Add fillets, turning once. Bake at 350 for 5-10 minutes.

CALORIES: 82 calories
CHOLESTEROL: 49 milligrams
FAT: 9 grams
SODIUM: 71 milligrams

Curried Mashed Sweet Potatoes

Ingredients
3/4 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 1/2 tsp vegetable oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1 tsp curry powder
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 tsp salt

Directions
1. In a boiling pot of water, cook the sweet potatoes until tender - about 15 minutes.

2. In a skillet with the vegetable oil cook the onion for about 4 minutes. Add the curry powder and cook for 2 more minutes. Remove from heat.

3. Mash the sweet potatoes with the sour cream and salt. Stir in the onions.

CALORIES: 156 calories
CHOLESTEROL: 7 milligrams
FAT: 4 grams
SODIUM: 238 milligrams

No comments:

Post a Comment