Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Gingered Pork Chops in Orange Juice

I hadn't cooked pork in a really long time before a few nights ago. When I was in college I made pork chops a lot. I find, like chicken, with pork chops there are so many things you can do to change the dish. I'm not sure how come pork fell off my radar for so long - but it is back on it!

In the past I have had some experiences with the pork chops being too dry. But this was not the case with this dish. I paired it with orange mashed potatoes, really playing up the orange flavor in both of the dishes all the while not being overpowering.

Gingered Pork Chops in Orange Juice

Ingredients
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground ginger
salt, to taste
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
2 pork chops
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
1/2 tbsp whiskey
3/4 cup orange juice

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

2. Place the flour, ginger, salt, and pepper in a ziplock plastic bag. Put the chops in the bag and shake to coat. Heat the oil in a skillet and once hot, brown both sides of the pork chops. Transfer the chops to a casserole dish.

3. Put the onions in the hot skillet and cook until limp. Pour the whiskey into the pan and scrape any bits off the bottom of the pan. Pour the onion and juices over the pork chops. Pour the orange juice into the casserole dish.

4. Cover and bake for 45 minutes. Serve with the orange sauce in the dish.

* serves 2

CALORIES: 356 calories
CHOLESTEROL: 55 milligrams
FAT: 19 grams

No comments:

Post a Comment