Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Curried Chicken on Toasted Pita

Lunches tend to me my hardest recipe of the day. I like to keep the meal small enough so that I can eat a bigger dinner (because I love feeling full in the evening), but at the same time I like to mix it up and eat something more than a ham and cheese sandwich on an orrowheat roll.

There are times I fall into shitty-lunch-slumps. But lately I've began meal planning my lunches as well as my dinners. My lunches typically use an ingredient from the dinner before, so if, for instance, I thawed out chicken and knew I was going to have too much chicken for dinner.. the chicken gets used for lunch the next day. Or if I cut a tomato, knowing I'll only be using half of it for dinner, that tomato is the basis for lunch the next day.

This dish was killer and was a keeper.
I have a confession about it actually.

I had made mine and I ate it.
I had enough to make a second one, so I made it for Matt. Unfortunately, before Matt could get there I had eaten half of it because I just couldn't stop munching on it. The incredibly crispy pita was definitely the way to do it.

Curried Chicken on Toasted Pita

Ingredients
1/2 lemon
1 garlic clove, crushed
3 sprigs cilantro, chopped
1/2 jalapeno, quartered
1 boneless skinless chicken breast
3 tbsp nonfat plain Greek yogurt
1/2 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tsp curry powder
1 tbsp thinly sliced green onions
1/2 tbsp sliced toasted almonds
1/4 tsp salt
ground black pepper, to taste
2 pitas

Directions
1. Fill a pot with water. Add the lemon, garlic, cilantro, and jalapeno. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add chicken and continue to simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Using a slotted spoon remove the chicken and place it on a plate. Once cool, cut chicken into small pieces.

2. Stir yogurt, mayonnaise, curry powder, green onions, almonds, cilantro, salt, and pepper together in a bowl. Stir in the chicken.

3. Toast the pitas in the oven to your desired crispness. Put 1/2 the chicken on each pita.

CALORIES: 328 calories
CHOLESTEROL: 42 milligrams
FAT: 4 grams

No comments:

Post a Comment