Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Peanut Nugget Wrap

Since the doctor told me I need to watch my cholesterol, I've been eating more and more meatless dishes. This is hard for me, as I'm quite carnivorous. I absolutely love chicken, steak, and pork.

My doctor actually told me to completely cut red meat out of my diet and in terms of meat, to only eat chicken and turkey. This really is not practical for me. In the last year I have made tremendous strides and have lost 50 pounds. Those 50 pounds didn't just fall off without any work. Rather, I've had to change my lifestyle completely, really considering and watching what I eat and when I eat it. The thing is, I went into this weight loss goal knowing this wasn't going to be a temporary diet. I didn't want to do things faddish, I wanted to do it right. I wanted to make a life change for myself; a change that will continue to follow me.

In doing so, I knew I couldn't completely cut anything out of my diet. I want to be able to continue this forever, not set myself up for failure. Yeah, I could tell myself no chocolate and no ice cream for as long as I live, but would I do that? No.

The same is true about the cholesterol. I could tell myself that I would cut cheeses, eggs, and meats out of my diet almost completely, but I know I wouldn't actually do it. Instead I've just been watching the total amount of cholesterol intake a day. This does result in fewer meat based dishes. It doesn't totally limit me however to poultry.

My lunch today had no cholesterol in it. It was very filling and delicious. The only thing I would change is, I wish I had eaten it warm. Eating it cool wasn't bad by any means, but I had a piece of the nugget last night when it first came out of the oven and it tasted soo good warm.



My lunch today is being shared with Midnight Maniac's Meatless Mondays.

Peanut Nugget Wrap
from here

Ingredients
2 tbsp onion
2 tbsp green bell pepper
1 garlic clove, peeled
2 tbsp dry roasted peanuts
2 oz extra firm tofu, drained
1 tbsp peanut butter
1/2 tbsp fresh cilantro
1/8 tsp sriacha
2 tbsp bread crumbs
1 handful shredded red cabbage
1 tortilla

Directions

1. In a food processor combine the onion, bell pepper, garlic, and peanuts. Don't pulsate too much, but leave coarse. Add in the tofu, peanut butter, and sriacha. Pulse more until well combined.

2. Form patties out of the tofu mixture. Coat in bread crumbs.

3. Bake in an oven preheated to 350 for 30 minutes total. After the first 15 minutes flip the patties over and cook for 15 more minutes.

4. On the tortilla place the shredded cabbage. On top of that place the tofu patties. Roll the wrap.

* serves 1

CALORIES: 451 calories
CHOLESTEROL: 0 milligrams
FAT: 23 grams
SODIUM: 912 milligrams


No comments:

Post a Comment