Friday, June 3, 2011

Beef and Broccoli

This dish is very meaningful for me. I know it might sound silly, but I think food and memories can oftentimes be very closely related.

This was the first meal that I cooked Matt. I remember my thought process when I was trying to decide what I should cook for him. I didn't want it to be something too weird, because I didn't know if he was picky or not. All I knew was that he ate meat, but I didn't know what else he would eat. But at the same time, I didn't want it to be too easy. Anyone can throw a pot of water to boil and make some pasta and pour some sauce on top. I know this dish wasn't incredibly hard at all, but if you take it to someone who has no idea their way around the kitchen, the flavors make it deceiving.

This has been one of my regular meals for the past year. And whenever Matt requests I make something, it's usually this.

Beef and Broccoli

Ingredients
9 oz thin cut beef, I use carne asada I get from the Mexican market
1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tbsp dry sherry
1/2 tbsp cornstarch
6 oz broccoli florets
2 tbsp peanut oil
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
1-inch piece ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks
1/8 tsp chili flakes
1 tbsp oyster sauce

Directions
1. Bring 2 quarts of water to boil.

2. Slice the steak in half lengthwise and then cut crosswise into thin slices. In a medium bowl stir 1/2 tbsp of soy sauce with the sherry, and cornstarch. Add the steak, toss to coat, and let sit for 10 minutes.

3. Meanwhile blanch the broccoli in boiling water until it softens to a tender crunch (about 2 or 3 minutes). Drain and then rinse under cool water.

4. Set a large skillet over high heat for 1 minute. Pour in 2 tbsp of oil and when it starts to simmer, add beef. Cook beef until it loses most of its raw color, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a large plate. Add the 1 tbsp oil and add the garlic, ginger, and chile flakes. Stir fry for 30 seconds. Add the broccoli and 3 tbsp water and cook, stirring to incorporate any browned bits on the bottom of the pan, until broccoli warms through, about 1 minute. Stir in the beef, oyster sauce, and remaining 1 tbsp of soy sauce; cook stirring for 1 minute.

5. Serve immediately.

* serves 2

CALORIES: 399 calories
CHOLESTEROL: 109 milligrams
FAT: 22 grams
SODIUM: 657 milligrams

No comments:

Post a Comment