Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Chicken Empanadas

Not everything I cook is for dinner, obviously. A few days ago my boyfriend asked me if I'd make some sort of finger food for his English class's potluck today. Sometimes having a boyfriend is like having a child; I am just envisioning my future of baking for bake sales and the like. But since I enjoy cooking I agreed. The empanadas were kind of time consuming and perhaps not the best thing to make when I'm trying to study, but I would definitely make these in the future because they are so yum. I followed a Paula Deen recipe (that didn't involve any butter) and just found the process to be so simple (but like I said, consuming - I did make 40 empanadas that all have to be hand-stuffed). I would definitely try to make a dessert empanada in the future. Or an Italian empanada. Ohhh or an Indian empanada stuffed with curry. I mean, it would just work with anything.

Studying is kind going okay. I got enough done today to pat myself on the back. I'm going out to get sushi tonight and when I get home it will be back to studying.

Chicken Empanadas

Ingredients:
3 cups cooked chicken, diced
8-oz Mexican mix shredded cheese
4-oz 1/3 less cream cheese
1/8 red bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeno, seeded, deveined, and diced
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp cayenne pepper
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
2 15-oz packages pie crusts
Water

Directions:

1. Combine all the ingredients except for the pie crust in a large bowl. Mix with your hands.

2. Roll out one of the pie crusts on a clean, lightly-floured surface. Cut out circles in the dough using a 3-inch round cookie cutter. Roll the dough out flat to make the best use of the dough. I got 10 rounds per pie crust.

3. After your dough rounds are cut out, with your fingers dipped in water, run your fingers around the edge of a round. Place about 1 tsp of mixture (it might need more than) in the middle of a round. Fold the dough in half and press softly shut with your fingers. With a fork, press the edges closed to seal.

4. Place on a baking sheet and bake at 400 for 25 minutes. Let cool before eating.

* makes 40 empanadas

CALORIES: 117 calories
CARBS: 11 grams
PROTEIN: 4 grams
SODIUM: 223 milligrams

No comments:

Post a Comment