Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Shepherd's Pie

I love potatoes. I could eat them all day and all night. When I was a little girl I used to get in trouble because of potatoes actually. At dinnertime, I'd just want potatoes, potatoes, and more potatoes. I would just want potatoes. I wouldn't eat anything else, because all I wanted was that starchy goodness.

My mom should have fed me shepherd's pie every night. While it isn't a substantial vegetable source, there at least is some vegetable in it and a protein source.

Shepherd's Pie

Ingredients
1 lb potatoes
1 tbsp Brummel&Brown
2 tbsp milk
1 1/2 onions
1/2 lb ground beef
5 oz frozen peas, thawed
5 oz frozen corn kernels
1/2 tbsp paprika
1 pinch ground nutmeg
1 pinch salt
1 pinch ground black pepper

Directions
1. Boil the potatoes until tender. Mash with milk and Brummel&Brown. Season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Set aside.

2. Saute the onions with paprika. Add the ground beef and cook until browned.

3. In a sauce pan blanch the frozen vegetables for 5 minutes in boiling water. Drain.

4. Spread a thin layer of potatoes in a baking dish. Add half the peas and corn and top with potatoes.

5. Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes, until golden brown.

* serves 4
* 252 calories per serving

No comments:

Post a Comment